Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

If you want to write, you actually have to write.

I must confess that I am someone who has dreamt of writing and being a writer for most of my life, all without actually writing. No, scratch that. I've done a lot of writing. Academic writing back in the days of college and graduate school. Business writing through presentations and research reports and recommendations. Journaling, morning pages, the odd blog post. But I'm not someone with the great American novel bursting out of me. And yet, I think about writing. A lot.

I finally decided to stop thinking about it and start doing it when Alice Bradley offered her online course The Practice of Writing. I've never taken a writing class before. And I really like it. And it's also really hard. And I have no idea of anything I'm writing is really going to go anywhere. But Ms. Bradley keeps reminding us that it doesn't matter right now. Because we are working on the practice of writing. You have to just write.

How convenient that NaBloPoMo starts tomorrow. As Gretchen Rubin points out so well, some things you should try to do every day. So here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment